WORKING WITH INDUSTRIAL CHEMICALS
This program covers the use of personal protective equipment (PPE), personal protective clothing (PPC), identifying the particular hazards and emergency procedures, and observing safe working practices associated with the handling and transportation of dangerous goods. This program may be applied to a workplace where materials and chemicals that are subject to codes and regulations are stored and used.
This aim of this program is to provide participants with the knowledge and skills required to observe safe working practices associated with the handling and working with dangerous good and hazardous substances
- 1 day
UNITS OF COMPETENCY
The program is aligned to meet the following units of competency:
- MEM13003B Work safely with industrial chemicals and materials
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and operational requirements
- Manual handling
- Hierarchy of controls
- Incident reporting in a dangerous good context
- Risk management
- Communicating with others
- Situation reporting
- Response to a low level HazMat incident
- Signage, labels, placards and MSDS
- Fire Science Fundamentals
- Emergency procedures
- Observing safe work practices
- Controlling & containing spillages
This program has no formal prerequisites. However, by it’s nature, the program requires manual handling of heavy items. As such, participants should be competent in correct manual handling and lifting techniques.
Assessment is conducted by Risk Response + Rescue using evidence of skills and knowledge obtained throughout the program.
A Statement of Attainment listing individual units of competency will be issued to participants upon successful completion.
MAX COURSE SIZE
- AS 1216-2006 Class labels for dangerous goods
- AS 2931-1999 Selection and use of emergency procedure guides for the transport of dangerous goods
- AS/NZS 3833:2007 The storage and handling of mixed classes of dangerous goods, in packages and intermediate bulk containers
- AS/NZS 5026:2012 The storage and handling of Class 4 dangerous goods
- AS/NZS 4681:2000 The storage and handling of Class 9 (miscellaneous) dangerous goods and articles
- SAA/SNZ HB 76:2010 Dangerous Goods - Initial Emergency Response Guide
Each participant will receive a learner resource kit.