PERSONAL WATERCRAFT (PWC) OPERATIONS PROGRAM
This program provides the skills and knowledge required to safely operate and maintain a Personal Watercraft (PWC) and to operate a PWC during aquatic operations in enclosed surf or rough water environments. This program covers the rules, regulations and configurations of operating a PWC, launch and retrieval in calm and rough waters, pre-operational checks and start up, immediate actions and management, basic casualty retrievals and towing, limitations and capabilities, advanced riding techniques and the refurbishment/maintenance of a PWC.
The aim of this program is to provide participants with the skills and knowledge required for operating a personal watercraft (PWC) in moderate to difficult conditions in enclosed surf and rough water.
- 2 days
- SISOPWC202A Demonstrate simple personal watercraft skills in controlled conditions
- SISOPWC303A Ride personal watercraft in moderate to difficult conditions
- Overview of PWC operations
- Rules and regulations
- Introduction to PWC configuration
- Launch and retrieval in safe water
- Pre-operational checks and start up
- Immediate actions and incident management
- Reading the aquatic environment
- In shore and off shore riding techniques
- Basic casualty retrievals
- Introduction to rough water
- PWC retrieval and towing
- PWC limitations and capabilities
- Advanced riding techniques
- Refurbishment of equipment and resources
This program has no formal pre-requisites. However, it is required that participants:
- Aged 12 years or older
- Hold a current NSW Personal Water Craft Licence
The program is physical in nature. Participants will be required to demonstrate their ability to swim in varying conditions.
Assessment is conducted by using evidence of skills and knowledge attained and demonstrated throughout the program.
A Statement of Attainment listing individual units of competency will be issued to participants upon successful completion.
MAX COURSE SIZE
- NSW Roads and Maritime Services Rules and Regulations for powered boats and PWC’s
- Other relevant State and/or Territory rules and regulations
Each participant will receive a learner resource kit.