SNAKE RELOCATION + CONTROL PROGRAM
This program will prepare individuals to ensure the safe capture, relocation and control of venomous snakes and spiders that may pose on-site risks to staff and/or the fauna involved.
The program also focuses on risk management strategies: recognition of site specific risks posed by venomous snakes and the appropriate course of action.
The aim of this course is to provide the required knowledge and skills for the safe capture, relocation and control of snakes and spiders.
- 2 days
UNITS OF COMPETENCY
The program is aligned to meet the following units of competency:
- AHCFAU301 Respond to wildlife emergencies
- Introduction to snakes
- Risk factors & safety awareness
- Specialised equipment and techniques for the safe Hands-Off capture and relocation of venomous snakes
- The Fundamentals: Snakebite Avoidance, Strike Zone & PPE
- Envenomation signs/symptoms
- Comprehensive first aid techniques using patented SMART bandage technology
- Snakebite Emergency Scenarios & Management Procedures
- Species characteristics, behaviours and identification (venomous & non -venomous)
- Death Adder, Brown Snake, Tiger Snake and Red Belly training
- Understanding the Animal & Human Risk Factors arising from the often highly charged setting of the snake catching experience
- Appreciation of psychological factors (fear, anxiety, adrenalin, performance and peer pressures)
- Short term animal husbandry pertaining to the care, transport and release of wild specimens
- Live & simulated workplace scenarios with emphasis on planning, Judgement and decision making
- Case Histories - what went right I what went wrong! Ample time and space for practice with live snakes.
- Spiders - identification, ecology, adaptations, bite treatment and common myths and misconceptions
There are no formal pre-requisites for this program.
Assessment is conducted by Risk Response + Rescue using evidence of skills and knowledge obtained throughout the program.
A Statement of Attainment listing individual units of competency will be issued to participants upon successful completion.
MAX COURSE SIZE
Each participant will receive a learner resource kit.