Fire Prevention, Extinguishment + Containment
FIRE PREVENTION, EXTINGUISHMENT + CONTAINMENT PROGRAM
This first response, fire fighting training program is intended for employees who require an appreciation of fire risk management, the importance of prevention strategies and an awareness of the correct applications and limitations of portable fire fighting appliances such as fire extinguishers & workplace fire hose reels. This course also includes methods of fire spread and fire containment strategies.
The aim of this course is to provide competency and confidence in the knowledge and skills to assess and correctly react in a fire emergency utilising available workplace resources.
- 4 hours
- Hazards and risks associated with fire
- Recognising unsafe conditions
- Chemistry of fire
- Principles of fire extinguishment
- Methods of fire spread
- Raising the alarm
- Classes of fire
- Determining if it is safe and appropriate to use first attack fire fighting equipment
- Principles of fire approach and fire evacuation
- Correct selection, use, and application of portable fire fighting extinguishers
- Strategies for fire containment
- Practical fire fighting with co2 type fire extinguishers
- Practical demonstration of dry chemical power type and aff foam type fire extinguishers
- Fire fighting with fire hose reels
UNITS OF COMPETENCY
The program is aligned to meet the following units of competency:
- CPPFES2005 Demonstrate first attack firefighting equipment
- PUAFER008 Confine small emergencies in a facility
This program has no formal pre-requisites.
Assessment is conducted by Risk Response + Rescue using evidence of skills and knowledge obtained throughout the program.
A Statement of Attainment listing individual units of competency will be issued to participants upon successful completion.
MAX COURSE SIZE
- Relevant Occupational Health and Safety Regulations
- AS ISO 31000:2018 Risk Management
- AS/NZS 4804:2001 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems
- AS/NZS 3745:2002 Emergency control organisation and procedures for buildings, structures and workplaces
- Other enterprise specific legislation, standards and codes
Each participant will receive a learner resource kit.