PETZL I’D® S -Descender
About the PETZL I’D® S Descender
What is the PETZL I’D® S Descender?
The PETZL I’D® S Descender is a compact and lightweight self-braking descender designed for use with single ropes. It allows users to easily control their descent and adapt their speed to the task at hand, making it suitable for a wide range of applications.
Efficient Braking: The PETZL I’D® S Descender features self-braking technology, providing smooth and precise control during descent.
Versatility: It can be used with ropes ranging from 10 to 11.5mm in diameter, making it adaptable to various rope types.
Anti-Panic Function: The device has an anti-panic function that activates if the user pulls too hard on the handle, preventing accidents.
For rock climbers, the PETZL I’D® S Descender is a game-changer. Its ability to control descent speed with minimal effort allows climbers to focus on their movements and enjoy a safer climbing experience.
In industrial settings, workers often need to access elevated areas. The PETZL I’D® S Descender ensures a controlled and secure descent, reducing the risk of accidents and injuries.
Search and Rescue
During rescue operations, time is of the essence. The PETZL I’D® S Descender enables rescuers to lower themselves or victims safely and efficiently, even in challenging conditions.
How to Use the PETZL I’D® S Descender
Attachment: Begin by attaching the descender to your harness using a locking carabiner.
Rope Installation: Thread the rope through the descender, ensuring it follows the proper path as indicated in the manufacturer's instructions.
Braking Hand: Hold the braking hand on the free end of the rope and use the handle to control the descent speed.
Anti-Panic Function: Be aware of the anti-panic function, which engages if you pull too hard on the handle. Release the handle slightly to disengage it.
Maintenance and Safety Tips
- Regularly inspect the descender for signs of wear and tear.
- Keep it clean and lubricated as per the manufacturer's guidelines.
- Always use the PETZL I’D® S Descender in accordance with the provided instructions.
1. Is the PETZL I’D® S Descender suitable for beginners in rock climbing?
The PETZL I’D® S Descender can be used by climbers of all levels, but beginners should ensure they receive proper training in its usage.
2. Can I use the PETZL I’D® S Descender for canyoning?
Yes, it can be used for canyoning, provided you use it with the appropriate rope and follow safety guidelines.
3. How often should I inspect and maintain my PETZL I’D® S Descender?
Regular inspections and maintenance should be conducted according to the manufacturer's recommendations, typically before each use.
4. Is the anti-panic function of the descender easy to disengage?
Yes, it's designed to be easily disengaged by releasing the handle slightly.
- Material(s): aluminum, steel, nylon
- Weight: 600 g
- Maximum working load for one person: 150 kg (more information in the Instructions for Use and in the technical tips at www.petzl.com)
- Maximum working load for two persons (rescue): 250 kg (more information in the Instructions for Use and in the technical tips at www.petzl.com)
- Certification(s): EN 341 type 2 class A, CE EN 12841 type C, CE EN 15151-1, ANSI Z359.4, NFPA 1983 Technical Use, EAC - EN 341 type 2 class A when used with a PARALLEL 10.5 mm or AXIS 11 mm rope - EN 12841 type C when used with a 10 to 11.5 mm EN 1891 A rope - EN 15151-1 when used with a 10 to 11 mm rope - ANSI Z359.4 when used with a 10 to 11.5 mm rope - NFPA 1983 Technical Use when used with a 10 to 11.5 mm rope.