This site has limited support for your browser. We recommend switching to Edge, Chrome, Safari, or Firefox.


Licence to Operate a Forklift Truck

Course Description

The Licence to Operate a Forklift Truck program provide learners with the necessary knowledge and practical skills to operate a forklift truck safely and efficiently in the workplace with confidence and competence.

To operate a forklift a high-risk work licence (HRWL) is required.

This course is designed for both new and experienced operators and provides hands-on training by experienced trainers. Participants will learn about hazard assessment, equipment checks, load capacity calculation, and safe operation of the forklift. 

Unit of Competency

  • TLILIC0003 Licence to operate a forklift truck

    Course Outline

    • Legislation, codes of practice and guidelines to safely operate a forklift
    • Safe operating procedures for a forklift truck
    • Maintaining safe operating speed
    • Travelling with load lowered to an appropriate height for terrain and visibility
    • Conducting pre-start checks
    • Applying relevant forklift truck manufacturer requirements and data plate information
    • Conducting risk and hazard assessment strategies
    • Complying with relevant safety legislation and regulations
    • Conducting operational checks
    • Following traffic management plan procedures
    • Refueling and recharging power source using appropriate PPE
    • Operating and monitoring safe forklift truck operations

    Mode of Delivery

    This course will be delivered face to face onsite at our training facility or can be delivered on a client's sites as required.

    To ensure success, participants are required to review pre-course learning material prior to the face to face training. 

    The assessment process consists of a formative written knowledge and practical skills assessment for certification. 

    The SafeWork NSW HRWL assessments are "closed book" and conducted by an independent SafeWork NSW Accredited Assessor.

    SafeWork NSW does not allow an interpreter or support to be used during the mandated formal assessment. Exemptions may be granted at the discretion of SafeWork NSW.

    For group bookings we can deliver this course at your location (click “Get a Quote” to find out more).


    This course is scheduled for:

    2 days of face-to-face learning and assessment + SafeWork NSW assessment

    *Learning and assessment hours will vary depending on your existing skills, underpinning knowledge and prior experience and your commitment to your learning and practical application of activities.

    Pre-Requisite and Entry Requirements

    Participants must be at least 18 years old, have basic English proficiency, and bring 100 points of identification to the course. This identification must be presented before the formal assessment, and failure to provide it will result in the participant being unable to participate in the formal assessment. The SafeWork NSW website provides guidance on how to collate the 100 points of identification.

    Safety attire, including safety boots and a high-visibility shirt, is required.

    Students must have appropriate level of language, literacy and numeracy skills (LLN) to interpret and apply relevant information during this program. An LLN assessment may be conducted during enrolment process to ensure each student has the appropriate level of skills required to undertake this program. 

    If learner support is required, RR+R must be notified so that we can provide the appropriate support. 


    Legislative and regulatory requirements are applicable to this unit of competency. The unit of competency is based on licensing requirements of Part 4.5 of the Model Work Health and Safety (WHS) Regulations and meets Commonwealth, State and Territory HRWL requirements. 

    Students who successfully complete the program and demonstrate competence will receive a Nationally recognised Statement of Attainment under the Australian Qualifications Framework. The certification will be issued by Risk Response and Rescue (RTO 90774).

    The notice of satisfactory assessment issued by SafeWork NSW accredited assessor is required for HRWL application process.


    • $680 ($580 per person for face-to-face training + $100 assessment)
    • $220 reassessment fee
    • For group bookings please click “Get a Quote” to find out more or Contact Us.

    Course Inclusions

    All course materials, handouts and personal protective equipment will be provided.

    Additional Information

    Refer to the Participant Information Handbook for information about our policies and procedures.

    A licence to operate a forklift is required for persons operating a powered industrial truck with lifting media or fork arms that can be raised to 900 mm or more.

    For more information on the dangers of using a forklift Read Here


    What are the legal requirements for operating a forklift truck?

    To operate a forklift truck, you must have a valid and current forklift truck licence or certification that complies with your local regulations. Additionally, you may need to complete training and hold other qualifications or certifications, depending on the type of work and environment you will be operating in. Your employer may also have their own policies and procedures regarding forklift truck operations that you must follow.

    What are some common hazards associated with operating a forklift truck?

    Operating a forklift truck can be dangerous, so it is important to be aware of the hazards associated with this type of work. Some common hazards include collisions with other vehicles, objects, or people; tipping the forklift; uneven or slippery surfaces; and overloading or improperly securing loads. You should also be aware of any hazardous materials or other risks in the work environment, such as flammable or explosive materials, poor visibility, or inadequate lighting. Proper training, maintenance, and following safety protocols can help minimize these risks.

    How do I obtain a forklift truck licence?

    Attend a training program, before you begin, you must meet some requirements, such as being over 18 years old and having a valid driving license (if operating a forklift on a public road). During the course, you will receive instruction from experienced trainers, who will guide you through the practical aspects of forklift truck operation, including basic driving skills, load handling, and safety practices.

    After completing the course, you will need to pass a written and practical assessment to demonstrate your competence. The assessment will cover your knowledge of forklift truck operation, safety practices, and load handling techniques. Once you pass the assessment, you will receive notice of satisfactory Assessment (NSA) which enables you to apply for your HRWL at the post office. this is required to be applied for within 60 days from receiving the NSA.

    How long does a forklift truck licence last?

    The license is issued for a period of five years, after which the operator is required to renew it. Evidence of currency may be required at time of renewal.

    What happens if I fail one or more of the assessments during the course?

    If a participant fails one or more of the assessments, they can retake the assessments within 90 days for a fee. Even knowledgeable people may find the assessments technically specific, and therefore may not pass on their first attempt. Participants may study the material in their own time and return for a second attempt. Reassessment must be attempted within 90 days of the original assessment. 

    Can I receive a refund if I choose not to proceed with the training or assessment after attending part of the training?

    No, the course fee is non-refundable once the participant has started the formal training. This policy is in line with the standard Terms and Conditions that participants accept upon enrolment.

    Do SafeWork NSW have any formal requirements to enrol into this program?

    Before enrolling in this course SafeWork NSW state that:

    • You must be able to answer TRUE to the five statements below. If this is not possible, we are then required to seek an exemption approval from the Regulator to enrol you. Exemption requests must be submitted AND approved by SafeWork NSW before the commencement of training.
    • 1.  You must not have had a WHS authorisation suspended or cancelled (expired authorisations are excluded) by any Australian certifying authority within the last five years.
    • 2.  You must not have previously been convicted or entered into an enforceable undertaking under the WHS Act or WHS Regulation in NSW or a WHS law in another Australian jurisdiction.
    • 3.  You must have a residential address within NSW.
    • 4.  You are not hearing impaired and require an Auslan interpreter for a HRWL Assessment.
    • 5.  You are not an accredited HRWL Assessor.